Tuesday 16 September 2008

Hotel Refusal

I am going to see the football in October (West Bromwich Albion versus Fulham - with a Fulham win of course) and need to stay overnight in Birmingham City Centre. After sourcing a hotel to stay in - the Radisson - which is accessible and fitted my access requirements perfectly, I contacted the Reservations Department. My access requirement was for a wheelchair accessible room with a connecting room for my personal assistant to stay in (his snoring is the worse but don't tell him I told you). This connecting room should be complimentary, so as a disabled person, I do not need to pay any more than anyone else as per the needs of my condition i.e. having a personal assistant. I believe there was a case under the Disability Discrimination Act about two or three years ago which clarified the situation that the hotel must only charge for one room in these circumstances - the original claim was made against Intercontintental Hotels for a stay in an Express by Holiday Inn. I emailed the Radisson on Monday to make the request which they have refused. Now I have emailed them again but this time I have sited the DDA case and I am currently awaiting their reply.

It should be done as best practice in the original enquiry and it should not be necessary for someone to quote the law every time they want the same service that should be afforded to anyone.

No comments: