Friday 12 September 2008

Website accessibility

This entry is about a very important issue that is currently being talked about within the disability community and only a few people have taken the step to use the DDA. Lots of huge companies do not understand the effect that their inaction has on disabled people, I will discuss this a bit more later on.
There is an international convention about website accessibility (Worldwide Web Consortium) which lays down several basic standards, e.g. Show clear font, text description of pictures, ability to adjust text size, ability to use the keyboard instead of the mouse, the ability to resize the windows without distorting the text……just to name a few.
This has come to my mind today as I was using the internet to book some train tickets yesterday with Virgin trains. The Virgin trains website itself I found quite easy to navigate although I did not test its full functionality. However right at the end of my section I was transferred to a Visa verification site. Firstly I thought “this is good” as people are taking fraud seriously. But, I then started to go and fill in their verification form. As I used the key board as opposed to a mouse I found the page very hard to navigate as I could not move around the page using the tab key as I usually do. When I had answered two questions I then found I had to scroll down and this was not possible unless you went to the scroll bar with the mouse. I also tried to change the font size as it appeared quite small, but this was not possible.
Surely this shows the big companies like Visa, should ensure their compliance with the website accessibility convention and the responsibility for this must also lie with Virgin trains as they are the ones who are using the Visa site.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The style and appearance of the actual verification form is controlled by your card issuer, and certainly not by Virgin Trains. When you are keying this information you are linked directly to your card issuer bypassing the retailer who's site your purchasing on, for security reasons. You should take this up with your bank.

Danny Puresh said...

whilst the fault lies with the card issuer, Virgin Trains must share the responsibility as they are deemed as the service provider under the DDA.