Wednesday 1 October 2008

Broken down train

This morning, I was on my way to a conference which was being held at the Tower of London. This was due to start at 9.30am, so I caught the 8.05am train from Sutton, which would get me into London Bridge at 8.42am. The train broke down just after Norwood Junction. After about half an hour the driver announces that he is trying to fix the control, so we must be patient. After another hour he comes back on the announcement and tells us he can't fix it so he is waiting for a repair team. Yet another hour later, and one of the repair team tells us the train is now fixed and it would be fast to London bridge. In this situation I was thinking about what other barriers to access does this cause and I came up with two clear things: firstly, the lack of announcements or re-assurance that something is actually being done to the train and regular progress reports thereafter; and secondly, the ramp at London Bridge was not ready as the staff are unable to deal with delays or disruptions!

No comments: