Friday 14 August 2009

Unacceptable Care at St Helier Hospital


I spoke recently of my visit to the Accident and Emergency Department of St Helier Hospital and I thought I would talk some more about this and the unacceptable level of care I received.

After I went to A&E, the hospital decided to admit me for tests and they moved me into the clinical assessment unit (CAU) where I would stay for 24 hours to be observed and to undergo tests. However, after 24 hours, I was then moved to one of the general wards where I was welcomed in the most appalling manner.

First thing they wanted was to transfer me to one of the ward beds which did not have cot sides and these are essential for me as it puts me at risk of falling out of the bed if these are not in place. Eventually after about an hour of shouting and generally annoying them, I was finally allowed to stay in the bed that I came up to the ward in. Why could the medical staff not see the risk that was right in front of their eyes? Are they so blinkered as to forget common sense?

The second issue that occurred happened shortly after I was settled. The Ward Sister came into my room without even bothering to introduce herself or even talking to me at all. What ever happened to common courtesy?

She proceeded to tell a Staff Nurse “well actually he should be nil by mouth because that’s what his notes say”. I listened in horror as in fact, my notes did not say this at all. I had been removed from nil by mouth earlier in the day! Pointing this fact out to her resulted in the Sister looking at me in a condesending way, issuing me with what can only be described as a growl and then walking out of the room only to reappear half an hour later and state “well actually his notes say he does not need to be nil by mouth”.

Thirdly, and probably more worryingly, I require assistance with personal care including going to the toilet etc. However, the nurses would not offer assistance with this, nor feeding me food or giving me a drink or suchlike. They never once offered to assist me with any task apart from the usual dispensing of medication etc. I had my own personal assistant with me but this should not change the duty the nurses have to provide individual care based on the patients needs. This has been brought up in my earlier blog regarding Disability Equality Duty as the NHS are bound by this.

All in all, I was glad to be finally discharged but there are serious questions that the NHS and St Helier Hospital in particular need to address. Level of care must be to the highest standards for all patients alike and on this occasion, as in many in the past, they were sorely lacking.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That hospital is ridiculous and the staff clearly are not trained in either common courtesy or actually looking after the patients. It's lucky that you had your PA's and your family there to assist you, otherwise you would have had nothing to eat and drink for days. How do they expect patients to recover if they don't even offer the basic care levels. St.Helier sucks!!!